Kinnoull 2 Larkhall Thistle 2 – 2nd August 2014

Tulloch Park, Perth
Kinnoull v Larkhall Thistle

Thistle travelled to play Kinnoull FC in what was their first ever game in the fair city of Perth. Conditions were not good, with heavy rain and the grass quite long on the pitch. Alan Colquhoun returned to the goals after a short holiday break.

Thistle started very strongly and were moving the ball about very well indeed without really creating chances to score but they were keeping possession really well, on the other hand not a lot was seen of Kinnoull as an attacking force in the early part of the game. While the Jags had created a lot of chances midweek at Darvel, the Kinnoull keeper was rarely seriously troubled apart from an effort from Matty Clarke which he screwed wide when he should have done better.

Half Time: Kinnoull 0 Larkhall Thistle 0

Kinnoull came out for the second half in more determined fashion and in their first real attack of the game Colquhoun had to make a good save at his left hand post after slack marking by the Thistle defence. From the resulting corner Colquhoun came out for the cross ball but only succeeded in palming the ball to a Kinnoull player who had an easy chance to score.

Kinnoull’s lead only lasted three minutes however, Thistle’s Brian Jack replied with a fine goal from a spot on pass from Ross McGeachie. His reward for scoring was to be substituted and replaced by Scott Nicoll. David Reid then came off to be replaced by Graham Gracie who was soon in the act with a run and shot which was not far away. Ryan Innes was then replaced by Neill Schoneville after he crashed into the dugout wall, injuring his knee. Neill went into central defence with Jordan Marshall moving into midfield.

Thistle then went ahead when a shot from Graham Gracie struck both posts before crossing the line, followed by a string of substitutions with Mark McKeever replacing Matty Clarke, Lee Brown coming on for Niall Reynolds and Ian Cooke for captain Mark Canning. As a result of these changes Kinnoull came more into the game, without looking threatening. Lee Moss then replaced Alan Colquhoun in goal and Willie Gracie came on for Ross McGeachie. With five minutes left the home team levelled again after slack play by Thistle.

Overall a good exercise on a big pitch but defensive errors have cost Thistle dear in their friendlies to date.

Full Time: Kinnoull 2 Larkhall Thistle 2

Larkhall Thistle:
Colquhoun; Reynolds, Duris, Brown, Marshall; Canning, Jack, Innes, Clarke; McGeachie, Reid Subs: Moss, Nicoll, Schoneville, Lee Brown, Cooke, McKeever, G.Gracie, W.Gracie.

Match report by Hugh Kerr

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *