St Anthony’s 1 Larkhall Thistle 3 – 14th November 2016

McKenna Park, Glasgow
St Anthony’s v Larkhall Thistle
Central League First Division

Again this weeks report will be short on many of the match details as Hugh and Ian were both unable to attend.

A much changed team this Saturday and with Graham Gracie and Gary McStay suspended, Niall Reynolds and Paul Burns not fit enough to start plus Bryan Felvus on holiday, Dunky’s choice was somewhat limited. Young Declan Doyle started on the right side of defence with Andy Brown replacing Neill Schoneville in central defence.

Thistle were soon a goal down, Duncan scoring for St Anthony’s. He got a yellow card for over celebrating his goal which would come back to haunt him later in the game. Not a lot happening from the visitors at this stage in an attacking sense but with half time approaching Thistle were beginning to get a grip of the game. The game changed when the Ants’ No 8 Miller was sent off for kicking out at a Thistle player and two minutes later the Jags equalised with a Ryan Innes shot which was deflected into his own net by defender O’Brien.

Half time: St Anthony’s 1 Larkhall Thistle 1

Thistle were now on top and went all out to get in front with Matty Clarke replacing Mark McKeever. The move paid of in 66 minutes when Clarke finished a fine passing move. Things went from bad to worse for St Anthony’s when Duncan received his second yellow in 70 minutes leaving the Ants with nine players.

With 76 minutes on the clock David Reid cut in from the right past his marker and hit a crisp shot into the corner to put the Jags 3-1 up and looking good. Paul Burns then replaced Declan Doyle for the last 10 minutes. With time running out Matty Clarke struck the crossbar with a free kick. The game had a stormy ending with yet another Ants player being red carded.

Full time: St Anthony’s 1 Larkhall Thistle 3

Larkhall Thistle:
Thomson; Doyle  (Burns 80), Brown, Marshall, Nicholl; Innes, Kelly, Jack, McKeever (Clarke 60); Reid, Payne Subs: Schoneville, Reynolds

The players have been criticised in recent weeks as regards their discipline so it is only right and proper that they are praised for keeping their cool in what at times was a bad-tempered game, especially at the end.

As far as man of the match is concerned good performances from Scott Nicholl, Jordan Marshall and Hugh Kelly but today’s award goes to Andy Brown.

Next week away again to Johnstone Burgh k.o. 1.45pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *